BabyFetus Ticker

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why Do I Scare Myself?

Since I seem to sit in front of the computer all day, I don't have any other option than to look up possible reasons for why I have not received my period. After looking around for a while, it crossed my mind to look up the symptoms for PCOS- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Here is the list I found on WedMD. I will put the symptoms I am experiencing in bold.

Early symptoms of PCOS include:
  • Few or no menstrual periods. This can range from less than nine menstrual cycles in a year (more than 35 days between cycles) to no menstrual periods.3 Some women with PCOS have regular periods but are not ovulating every month. This means that their ovaries are not releasing an egg each month.
  • Heavy, irregular vaginal bleeding. About 30% of women with PCOS have this symptom.4
  • Hair loss from the scalp and hair growth (hirsutism) on the face, chest, back, stomach, thumbs, or toes. About 70% of women in the United States with PCOS complain of these hair problems caused by high androgen levels.5
  • Acne and oily skin, caused by high androgen levels.
  • Depression or mood swings. Hormonal changes are a known cause of emotional symptoms.
Now I understand that some of these symptoms can be caused by other things, but it is just a little unsetteling how many of these early symptoms I am experiencing. Here is the next set of symptoms that are considered "gradual" changes.

PCOS symptoms that may develop gradually include:

The only symptoms from this list that I have experienced is one miscarriage, difficulty getting pregnant, and pain in the lower abdomen, which lasted for about 3 weeks, but has gone away.

BUT The biggest shock was when I read this...

The most common reasons that first bring women with PCOS to a doctor include:

  • Menstrual problems.
  • Male-type hair growth (hirsutism) on the face and body.
  • Infertility.
  • Weight gain or upper body obesity.
DING DING DING.... I'm 3 for 4 on that list! Not to mention, my mom had to have one ovary removed and eventually had to have a full blown hysterectomy due to cysts on her ovaries.

So needless to say... now I have greatly freaked myself out and can not wait to get my doctor's appointment scheduled. The only thing that worries me even more is the fact that I am stuck on this tiny little island, where there are not specialist. Thankfully, if it is required for me to see one, the Coast Guard will pay to fly me to Anchorage to get the medical help that I need (and trust me...I don't mind going to a REAL city for a few days). I just don't want to imagine having to fly back and forth to Anchorage on medical flights several times a month.

My biggest fear growing up was that I would never be able to have a baby... and sadly, I am feeling more and more like the fear is becoming a reality.

1 comment:

  1. Totally understand the PCOS scare. I know I've told you that my Dr. told me I had it Sr. year of high school.

    I'm not really sure where it is at this point because I'm kinda afraid of the answer. I know Andrew and I are not ready or able to support a child right now but we do want one in the next two or three years.

    I know I don't understand exactly what you're going through but I'm scared about whether or not we can have kids too.

    many prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete